1. Established August 23, 1995 by Executive Order 94-3.
2. Both agencies were previously under the CNMI Department of Public Safety. With EO 94-3, falls directly under the supervisory of the Governor.
3. Agency formed by merging 2 agencies into 1.
a. Disaster Control Office (PL 1-40, Oct. 09, 1979)
b. Civil Defense Office (PL 1-44, Feb. 04,1980)
4. The Emergency Management Office is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are also a number of standby/on-call duty officers prepared to handle emergencies after regular working hours.
1. Located on Capital Hill on the Island of Saipan in a building which was formerly the CNMI Convention Center. The EMO can be reached by turning right at the Capital Hill traffic light intersection. Proceed uphill making a left turn at the first cross intersection. After making that left turn, make the first right turn at the first building.
C. Functions & Unit
*Link to section VI-Sections & Staff
D. Facility and Equipment?
1. Facility Structure and Capabilities
a. Full permanent structure
b. Self sustain with 260 KVA Generators with 1 100u.s. Gallons fuel storage tank.
c. 50,000 U.S. Gallon waters catchment and storage tank.
2. Communication Equipment?
a. Smartnet System
1. 2 way radio communications system for the CNMI Government.
2. 1 Mobile Command Vehicle
3. Operational Vehicle
a. 3 Pick-up Truck (4X4)
b. 1 Vessel (Challenger Junior)
c. 1 Mobile Command Vehicle